Monday, January 18, 2010

Details from my week in PR

Dulce de Astorga: my great grandfather's recipe for a candy/cookie/pastry wrapped in white tissue paper, which he would sell in church after the service.

My great aunt's 80th birthday.

Visiting my grandfather's farm in Moca. He gave me well thought out advice on never compromising your principles. Also, ate bacalao con viandas, which was the poor man's lunch on the island for many years, and now it's considered a delicacy.

The abandoned oil refineries near Ponce: huge, dark, ominous, worthy of artistic exploration, but finally just another blight on the landscape.

Conversations with my father: topics too numerous to recall in detail.

Advice from my great uncle on how to reach 80 looking as fit as he does: eat well, don't smoke, don't drink, and never be afraid of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment